Thursday, June 4, 2009

AFX fun

As you can see in Matt's post below I've got the demo AFX spells working. This was actually quite a trial as the management system for spells is quite complex.
I additionally had a problem where the first two spells on the spellbar weren't showing up, but were being created as data objects. I eventually found out (thanks to Matt) that it is assumed that the first two items in the spellbar will be arrows to scroll through sets of spells. Considering I spent at least 4 hours trying to figure this out, asking for help from everyone who could possibly help, for it to turn out like this is quite aggravating.
Anyway, I'll probably spend today & tomorrow trying to modify the demo AFX spells so that the can be used for our characters, and next week we'll start planning our presentation & finalising our documentation.

***Update***
Oh, and I guess we have to
  • add in the models + animations for the skeleton, Ares, & Kali.
  • add Nicks stat system.
  • finalise the monster spawning system.
  • create some AI for the Scythe Demon.
  • test multiplayer, again.
  • create seperate spell books for each character.
  • and whatever else I've forgotten.
Anyway the core basic gameplay should be complete by next week.

***UPDATE 2***
I got selectrons working so here's some pictures.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm so how did you manage the hotbar? add in the buttons for extra spells or just move them along the line to 3-12?

    Anyhow, next time you're free show me where the build is and if you've got some tips on making AFX spells ill lend a hand.

    Skeletons could even have a basic one :O (skeleton casters)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither I just added in the up & down arrow buttons but made them invisible and disabled.
    Making AFX spells from scratch is out of the question, that would take way too much time. Modifying the demo spells should be possible though.
    I have run into a problem in that I can't get the selectrons working; it appears to be a source issue. So I guess tomorrow I'll see if I can modify some spells so they don't need targets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I noticed from the use of the aoe attack only xD
    mm may be harder to make some spells without selection. Or perhaps... the player will have to make a selection based on their los/a ray cast :O just add it into the spell.

    oh well ill have to have a look; systems that are not your own tend to be a pain to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth be told I haven't even looked at how targeting works yet, so I don't know what sort of problems might arise from trying to pass a target to a spell from somewhere besides the selected object on screen.
    One thing I've learnt about AFX is that it is quite complex in pretty much everything it does. Really the AFX system is much larger & more complex than any other engine mod I've worked with. If I'd spent the whole semester playing with it I might've been able to make one decent spell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is a server command called 'SelectObject' not sure if that helps though with AFX.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I found that today. I also got selectrons working after several hours of building & re-building debug versions of the raw AFX 1.7.1 and UNDERGOD. I eventually discovered that there was a typemask AFX preference on the client that wasn't set in the torqueScript for UNDERGOD.
    Anyway I know how selectrons work now, so that's probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done :O was just looking through the selectrons and management etc. The system does use corpse and player masks or something O.o haven't looked at the source code for AFX.

    In any case the bulk of spells in their spell packs are large because of their visual complexity.

    ReplyDelete