Monday, May 4, 2009

Cluster: a 100% Microsoft implementation


Hi guys... so as you can see the 2008 cluster is up and running...

But this is a project management course and not a technical course so let me talk about what I found out just working with this cluster so I can share my experiences with you all guys!

Building a cluster using 2008, at the moment, is a bit harder than using 2003. That's mainly because the iSCSI target needs supporting persistent reservations. Unfortunately just few iSCSI target support this feature...
If you read my previous posts you may know that I tried building the cluster using OpenFiler (a free NAS server Red-Hat based) but I failed because of the persistent reservation which are not supported by OF. So... how could I fix the problem? It's simple... at the moment the best solutions are:

1) Microsoft Unified Data Storage Server (which I used... there is a trial version!)
2) The last version of OpenSolaris
3) StarWind (which is free... well... the standard edition)
4) A hardware NAS solution... very expensive and looks like a coffin! ;-)

I really loved the idea of using a 100% Microsoft solution so I installed a trial of Microsoft Unified Data Storage Server and I fixed the problem but you could try different avenues...

No comments:

Post a Comment