Thursday, May 28, 2009

DirectX, DirectPlay and... DirectWeAreAllDoomed! :-)

Hi guys!

I think the problem we are having connecting the game server to the client is because the DirectPlay libraries wich came with the old DirectX are now deprecated. So while the XP client is trying opening a network connection to the server using DirectPlay the 2008 server might have problem answering. In fact network connections to game server were usually coded using DirectPlay. According to MS documentation some components of this library were already obsolete when DirectX 9 was released:

DirectX Doc

That said we need to know which part of DirectX are being used by the client/server in order to figure out whether any of these components are still available on the latest version of the library. In fact:

DirectX FAQ

The interesting part says:

"... The Direct3D Retained Mode API was completely removed from Windows Vista. DirectPlay Voice was also removed, as well as DirectPlay's NAT Helper and DirectInput's action-mapper UI. Support for the DirectX 7 and DirectX 8 interfaces for Visual Basic 6.0 is not available on Windows Vista..."

So as we could imagine some components of that library have been removed. But... the thing that we should make clear is: have these components been completely REMOVED or just DEPRECATED? ? ? Documentation does not seem to be really clear about it...

3 comments:

  1. I'll check with Alan F to see if he knows which parts of DirectPlay TGEA uses (of the top of my head I'd say it's probably the NAT Helper). If he doesn't know I'll have a quick look around on the in the source to see if I can figure it out (not really likely as I'm not really sure what I'm looking for). You guys may want to have a look around the Garage Games forum, there login information for a few different accounts in a text file in the Battlefield of the Gods folder on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've talked to Alan and Torque doesn't use any of DirectX's networking stuff. I'd still advise you to discuss this with Alan as I don't really have enough of an understanding of how Torque works over a network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok! Thanks Brett! My team did not have this issue yet just because we were trying an OpenGL game but the same will go for us if we try using a XP client and a 2008 server using DirectX 9/10.
    So I suppose the best way to fix this issue is trying using a win 2008 client instead. I will work on it in order to find a solution... well a better one because windows 2008 usually is not installed as a client system :-)

    ReplyDelete